MAKE TAX TIME A BUDGET BOOSTER
For thousands of households across our region, accessing the right resources during tax season is critical in obtaining a full tax refund. The simple truth is that when taxes are done right, the result could mean valuable tax credits and refunds that go a long way in a family’s annual budget.
According to the IRS, approximately 20% of residents do not claim one of the biggest boosters to family incomes - the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable credit that can amount to as much as $6,143 per qualifying family- simply because they are unaware of their eligibility, or do not file their taxes.
If you earned less than $60,000 in 2015, you may qualify for the EITC and you can have your taxes prepared for free from the Kern VITA Partnership.
And as of January 2016, the CalEITC provides additional resources to the working families in our community who most need it.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Through the Kern VITA Partnership (KVP) United Way helps to mobilize our regional volunteer force through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, an IRS-supported tax preparation service through which trained volunteers prepare taxes at no cost for qualifying individuals and families. In 2015, KVP volunteers filed more than 1,000 tax returns across our county, which returned more $2.4 million to our local economy. This year, VITA sites will be open from February 1 through April 15.
- MAOF (Bakersfield main office)
- Vida Scott Center (southeast Bakersfield)
- St. John the Baptist Church (south Bakersfield)
- K.C. Child Support (downtown Bakersfield office)
- Bessie Owens Elementary School (east Bakersfield)
- Mt. Vernon Elementary
- United Way of Kern County
Mobile VITA sites will be located at:
- Housing Authority
- Highland High School
- Self Help FCU
- Delano Library
- Lamont Library
- Bakersfield NE Library
- Bakersfield High School
What do I Bring?
- Picture ID
- All W-2s
- All 1099 for OTHER INCOME
- All 1098 for EDUCATIONAL EXPENSES
- Social Security Cards or ITIN for self and each family member / dependent
- Childcare provider information: name, address, and tax id number or social security number
- Bank account routing number (for direct deposit)
- Previous year tax return – not required but helpful
Or, File Your Taxes for Free Online
United Way can also help you file your taxes for free, online.
For eligibility information, information on the tax credits you qualify for, and an easy-to-follow process, go HERE.
How Do I Volunteer?
Volunteers are needed to serve as tax preparers, greeters, and translators for the 2015 tax season. No experience is necessary and FREE training will be provided. Training begins soon. To get more information or register to volunteer please contact Susana at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (661) 834-2962.